The Eye Hospital

Photography by
Donald Christie

These portraits were taken at the St John Ophthalmic Hospital in East Jerusalem on two consecutive mornings in May 1999. They show outpatients visiting the clinic, which was originally founded in 1882 and now serves Palestinian communities from the West Bank and Gaza. This is the first time these archive images have been published.

Special thanks:
Clare Richardson